If you have a PRO paper, you can now set-up a custom domain.
Before you make any changes on Paper.li, you will need to make some changes to your domain. If you don't yet have a domain, you'll need to purchase one. They can be purchased from any number of registrars.
- When you use the custom domain URL for your paper, the number of shares will be set to 0.
- "Remember me" is not working for custom domain URLs.
How to set-up a custom domain:
1. Configure your domain
You'll need to configure your domain and your registrar will have instructions on how to do this. Depending on what you chose, you'll do one of the the following:
Three levels - If your domain looks something like my-paper.mywebsite.com (example), point a CNAME record to paper.li
Two levels - If your domain looks something like mywebsite.com (example), point an A-record to 126.96.36.199
2. Configure Paper.li
Go to the paper settings of your paper. Turn the custom domain slider to ON
Enter your domain (e.g. mywebsite.com) or subdomain (e.g.blog.mywebsite.com).
Click "Test your domain."
Correct problems if the test finds any, and click “Test your domain” until the test is successful.
Note: It will take up to 72 hours for your changes to appear on Paper.li.
3. Do I need to change the nameservers for my domain?
No, just the A-record or CNAME record depending on levels in your domain.
4. How do I know if I set up my domain properly?
After re-configuring your domain, you must wait up to 72 hours for the changes to take effect. When you visit the subdomain or domain, you should see your paper.
5. What happens when someone visits my normal Paper.li URL?
They will automatically be redirected to your new custom domain.
6. What if I’m having trouble setting up a custom domain?
Unfortunately we’re unable to support domain configuration issues. If you are experiencing domain configuration issues you'll need to contact your registrar, or ISP if you purchased through them. Here are furthermore two helpful articles:
7. Will the domain URL be reflected when I share the paper?
Yes. You will no longer being sharing the standard paper.li url, you will be sharing your custom domain url.
8. What will the Paper.li promotional tweet look like?
The promo tweet will carry your domain URL and link to your page.
9. What will the email notification look like?
The email newsletter will also carry your custom domain URL.
10. How will my paper be found on Google Search and others?
Your paper will be indexed in searches as soon as the engines crawl the new custom domain. Be sure you link your Paper.li sub-domain from the homepage of your Website to get the most out of your curated content.
11. How can I remove the Paper.li header and footer?
We will be rolling out a white label, fully customized solution in the next months. Stay tuned and thanks for your understanding while we work on this feature for you!