Because godaddy.com is such a popular registrar used by so many of our publishers, we've created instructions to help you get started using godaddy.com.
These instructions are up-to-date as of the day we posted them however some registrars frequently change their website, so variations from these instructions are possible.
Create a custom domain for godaddy.com
1. Go to godaddy.com and enter your chosen domain name and click GO to check if it's available.
2. If your site is available, you will get the option to add it to your shopping cart. Click ADD.
3. Click Domain only and ADD.
4. Click Continue to Checkout.
5. Click No thanks to email, etc (unless you need).
6. Complete your purchase.
Configure your Domain Name in godaddy.com to work with Paper.li
1. Log into your Account Manager.
2. Next to Domains, click Launch.
3. From the DNS menu, select DSN Manager.
4. The DNS Dashboard displays. Click Edit zone (underneath your domain name).
5. If your domain looks something like news.mywebsite.com (example), you will need to point a CNAME record to paper.li (See step 6 if your domain looks like mywebsite.com)
a. Click Quick Add under the CNAME section of the Dashboard.
b. Enter the subdomain name in the first field and "paper.li" (without the quotes) in the second field. (In my example, for the URL news.mywebsite.com, I would point "news" -- the subdomain-- to paper.li)
c. Click and click OK.
6. If your domain looks something like mywebsite.com (example), point an A-record to 188.8.131.52.
a. To do this, in the A (Host) section, click @. In the Points to field, enter 184.108.40.206.
b. Click and then click OK.
7. Wait 72 hours after registration with your DNS provider to allow the change to propagate.
8. From your Paper Settings Dashboard, choose Global settings and then turn the Custom Domain toggle to ON.
9. Enter your new domain (e.g. mywebsite.com) or subdomain (e.g. blog.mywebsite.com). Do not include the http or www in front of your domain name.
Example: If your domain name is www.myname.com, simply enter myname.com in the text field.
10. Click . If there's no error message, you have correctly pointed your new domain to paper.li.
11. If you have already activated an automatic promo-post or tweet with your old URL, you must re-set the default text in your tweet or post in order for your new custom URL to be included in the next auto promote. To do so, go to your Paper Settings Dashboard, then Promotion & Emails and turn the activations switch(es) OFF and then back ON to reset your default tweet with the correct URL.