The following video found on paper.li's youtube channel goes over some advanced customization ideas to add to your ad space on your paper.
Pro! customizing ad units (advanced)
All of the code snippets below can be copied and pasted into the Custom html code field found in your Paper Settings Dashboard > Layout & appearance, > Ad units. Once you click on one of the ad units, you can enter the code into the HTML field.
<iframe src="http://yoursite.com" width="300" height="400" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" style="border: none;"></iframe>
3. Code to embed your Facebook page into your ad space (at approx 37 sec):
Note: the video mentions adding a Facebook feed, but Facebook has discontinued the ability to embed your feed directly into a website.
You can, however, add a Facebook page into your paper by visiting the following link: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/page-plugin
a. Enter the Facebook page and the height and width desired into the fields. For the classic layout, optimal width is 300; there is no optimal height.
b. Click "get code"
c. You'll get two code snippets, as seen in the example below.
The first snippet should be placed in your custom header.
From your Paper Settings Dashboard, click Layout & appearance, then Look & feel.
Turn custom header toggle to ON which will hide the Paper.li Main Menu (upper left) from your readers. It will also activate the Custom Header HTML editor.
- Enter the code snippet into the Custom Header HTML editor and click save.
The second snippet should be placed in your ad unit space.
From your Paper Settings Dashboard, click Layout & appearance, then
- Click one of the ad units
- Click custom HTML and enter code snippet 2 into the HTML field.
Example of Facebook plugin code
4. In addition to the above ideas, you can also embed a slideshare presentation to your ad space. To do so, visit the slideshare video and click on the Share button under the slideshare.
Copy the Embed code shown and paste it into the Custom html code field. For the classic layout, optimal width is 300; Optimal height is 200.
5. Embed your Instagram images into your paper using the third party service snapwidget. Snapwidget has both a free and a paid service to help you create a free widget to embed Instagram images onto your website. (Note: This is not the same thing as adding Instagram as a paper.li "source".