Because godaddy.com is such a popular registrar used by so many of our publishers, we've created instructions to help you get started using godaddy.com.
These instructions are up-to-date as of the day we posted them. However, as we don't have control over the godaddy service, we are not responsible if godaddy changes their interface. Variations from these instructions are possible.
Create a custom domain for godaddy.com
1. Go to godaddy.com and enter your chosen domain name and click GO to check if it's available.
2. If your site is available, you will get the option to add it to your shopping cart. Click ADD.
3. You'll then be given options to buy:
- privacy protection,
- website building and hosting
- matching domains (domains similar to the one you've chosen)
- search engine visibility
None of these are required in order to set up your paper. If you only want to set up the custom domain for your paper, choose "domain only",
4. Click Continue to Checkout.
5. Complete your purchase.
Configure your Domain Name in godaddy.com to work with Paper.li
1. Log into your Account Manager and click Domains
2. Click in the right column of thee domain name.
4. Under the Records section, click in bottom right corner.
5. If you are setting up a domain in any of these formats:
- www.mycuratednews.org (i.e. www.something.com etc)
- mycuratednews.org (i.e. something.com)
you will first set up an A record for the main domain name.
==> The main domain is the part of the URL, without the "www". <==
Under Record Type drop down box, choose A record and point the main domain name to our IP address 188.8.131.52.
6. Once the A record is created, you can decide if you would like visitors to use www to visit your site as well. In step 5, the A record pointed your main domain name (i.e. mycuratednews.org) to your paper, but if you would also like to use www in the address, (i.e. www.mycuratednews.org), add an additional CNAME record:
Under Record Type drop down box, choose CNAME for the record type, www for the host and and point www to your main domain. Then, click SAVE.
7. If you would like your domain to have three levels such as news.mycuratednews.org, instead of an A Record, you will create a CNAME record for this type of subdomain.
Under Record Type drop down box, choose CNAME for the record type, enter the entire three level domain name as the host and and in the "points to" box, enter "paper.li". Click SAVE
8. You may have to wait up to 72 hours after registration with your DNS provider to allow the change to propagate.
9. From your Paper Settings, choose the Webpage tab > Custom Domain Options and then turn the Custom Domain toggle to ON.
10. Enter your new domain (e.g. mywebsite.com) or subdomain (e.g. blog.mywebsite.com). Do not include the http or www in front of your domain name.
Example: If your domain name is www.myname.com, simply enter myname.com in the text field.
11. Click "Save." If there's no error message, you have correctly pointed your new domain to paper.li.
12. If you have already activated an automatic promo-post or tweet with your old URL, you must re-set the default text in your tweet or post in order for your new custom URL to be included in the next auto promote. To do so, go to your Paper Settings, then Social Media tab and turn the activation switch(es) OFF and then back ON to reset your default posts with the correct URL.